It’s Duct Tape Time!!!
With our PVC frame about 95% complete (everything aside from a few extra struts) it was finally time to begin work on the duct tape skin. This stage turned out to be a lot of fun and we were able to quickly see the kayak come together before our eyes!
Taping started with the first of two outer hull layers. We decided that the first layer be applied width-wise so that the outer (finish) layer could be applied end-to-end to reduce drag. The application of this first layer went without a much of a hitch. We were even able to eliminate many of the string tensioners buy using the duct tape to provide tension and straighten out any twists in the PCV frame. The one set-back was that we blew through most of the duct tape that Teva had donated which required a quick trip to the local Walmart to buy a bunch of contractor-grade duct tape to complete the hull.
Upon our return to the barn we began work on the outermost (finish) layer of the hull. Here we used an assembly-line approach where we worked together to ensure that each piece went down without folds or wrinkles. This layer came out flawless and we decided to add a strip of Teva duct tape along the keel line for some visual appeal. Finally our monster was starting to look more like the duct tape kayak that we envisioned!
The final layer of the hull was to be applied on the inside. The purpose of this layer was to further ensure that there would be no leaks in the hull and to prevent the kayak from turning into a giant, sticky, fly-trap! For this layer we decided to use some cheaper, run-of-the-mill duct tape as this was more of a “safety” layer. We were also able to work in a few duct tape bulkheads and inflatable float bags for good measure!
One more day of work on the cockpit and deck before our much anticipated float test! Stay tuned!!!
Click here to donate to the Kayak Dave’s Duct Tape Kayak team and help support Stand Up 2 Cancer!